This page gives definitions of the words commonly used in the RINGMesh project.
- Point - A position in space: (x,y) in 2D or (x,y,z) in 3D.
- Segment - Part of a line bounded by two distinct points.
- Polygon - Part of a plane bounded by a finite number of non-intersecting segments closing in a loop.
Polyhedron - Part of a space bounded by a finite number of non-intersecting polygons defining an interior and an exterior.
N-simplex - The convex-hull of N+1 points
- Point: 0-simplex
- Segment: 1-simplex
- Triangle: 2-simplex
- Tetrahedron: 3-simplex
Elements of a mesh
- Mesh cell - A polyhedron of a volumetric mesh.
- Mesh polygon - A polygon of a surface mesh.
- Mesh edge - A segment of a linear mesh.
Vertex - A corner point of a mesh cell, a mesh polygon or a mesh edge.
Facet - A (N-1) boundary of a mesh element
- A face of a mesh cell
- An edge of a mesh polygon
- A vertex of a mesh edge
Mesh: Set of elements
- Structured mesh - A mesh with regular connectivity meaning that each vertex is connected to the same number of vertices.
- Unstructured mesh - A mesh with any connectivity between vertices.
- Topology - Connectivity information between entities.